SOCIAL GROUPS: ROLE, STATUS AND IMPACT ON PERSONALITY

 "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead.

A social group is made up of two or more people who are constantly in contact with each other. Individuals in the state of social contact have a reciprocal affect on one another through inter-stimulation and reaction. The condition of social contact, or inter-influence, in a social group is an inescapable quality. A group of men discussing the most recent film they saw is a social group since their linguistic interactions impact one another. Many different social groupings have an impact on our behaviour, attitude, perception, and personality. Primary groups have the most impact on us at the start of our lives, in childhood. In Hindu civilization, we are born into a family with numerous individuals who have the ability to affect us. 

There are different types of social groups: 

A family is a primary social group. Mine consists of my mother, father, grandparents, a younger sister and me. Personally, being the firstborn child of my parents, I had different sets of responsibilities and I reacted to things differently than my younger sibling would. Some of the things that I have to do as the eldest daughter are: 

I have to take care of my younger sister

* I have to make reservations for hotels and book tickets for shows/ movies

* I have to fix my grandmothers devices 

* I have to drive my sister and grandparents to and from places

* I have to be ready to take certain decisions when my family needs me to.

This has had an effect on my personality. My views and beliefs have been formed by my family members. They have instilled in me the values of integrity, punctuality, hard effort, adaptability, kindness, and patience.

My primary group and genetic group both include my family.



We tend to develop secondary groupings when we get older and start attending to school and then college. Friends and colleagues form this type of group. This is a less interactive version with a greater size. A teacher-student relationship is another example of this category. As a student, we must adhere to certain laws and regulations at our university, represent our university in numerous competitions and tournaments, and help to raise the university's prestige.



A formal group is one in which the terms of membership are clearly established, including the rules and regulations that must be followed. Any rule violation can result in a person's expulsion from the group. For example, the educational institute where I do my internship/job has a code of conduct that I must adhere to, and any infringement will result in harsh consequences.



An informal group, on the other hand, has no set of rules to follow, and anyone can join and leave the group at any time. This group can be exemplified by a group of students on the playground.



An individual's free or choice cannot allow him to join or leave an involuntary group. Involuntary groupings include family and sex groups because we have no control over our family and gender or sexuality.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ORGANISATIONAL CULTURE

TRIBE OF INDIA : WARLI TRIBE

BRAND HISTORY OF DOVE